As part of our new Sunday Series, every week, we bring you a new expert advice column to make the most of your life in Abu Dhabi. This week, Antoinette Chorlton, fashion consultant and founder of Glamour on the Go Stylist, tells us how you can make a high street outfit look designer.
Most of us can’t afford to shop designer or luxury brand. In fact, the majority of us shop from high street stores like H&M, Zara, Mango and Topshop.
These stores are affordable and on-trend, allowing us to put outfits and looks together straight from the runway, and more often than not these stores take inspiration direct from the runways and designers, ensuring we can buy fashionable items at a fraction of the price.
So, how can you make your outfit look a million dollars without actually spending copious amounts of money? Here are my tips to do just that:
- Make sure your clothes are ironed and well pressed. Creased and wrinkled clothes are sloppy and can make your outfit look less valuable. By ensuring your clothes are ironed and pressed you instantly create an illusion of tailormade garments.
- Make sure your clothes fit you well and are tailored to your body. Look out for hemlines on pants and skirts and cuffs on jackets, shirts or tops.
- Watch out for the quality of the fabric. Buy the best you can afford; the same goes for shoes and handbags. Stick to plain or classic and avoid too much embellishment, which could end up spoiling the outfit if a stone or bead goes missing. The same goes for zips and buttons: make sure they are all in place and replace them if needed.
- Add accessories to your outfit, such as a statement cocktail ring, sparkly or tassel earrings and chunky necklaces. Play around with affordable jewellery and accessories to transform your outfit.
- Make sure you maintain your grooming. This means no chipped nail varnish, wearing subtle makeup, perhaps a statement lip and neat hair. As American fashion icon Iris Apfel once said: “If your hair is done properly and you’re wearing good shoes, you can get away with anything”.
I follow these simple rules every day and so can you, to instantly take your look from drab to fab.